Wednesday, March 17, 2010

D’arvit!

Happy St. Pattrick’s Day. When thinking about what Irish related topic I wanted to post on today, I got to thinking about the Artimas Fowl series. They are set in Ireland – well Ireland and the center of the earth. Since all the lepricon’s have moved into the center of the earth to avoid the mud people (humans). The think I want to say about Artimas Fowl is it’s introduction to the elfin sware word d’arvit.

Avoiding potty language in kids books is always entertaining to me. I don’t mind when fowl language appears in YA novels at approprate times. If a character is set up to be a bully or a jerk and is yelling at someone, and occational nasty word thrown into dialog seems realistic. And it’s not like teens don’t already know these words.

But I often find myself enjoying the new and made up curse words. These tend to feel vary authentic when said by frustrated kids who don’t like to get in trouble. Cursing out a friend at school may earn a kid detention, that they don’t want. So why not invent a new way to get one’s point across without resorting to f-bombs.

In Artimas Fowl, the elves all said d’arvit all the time. It was never translated, but clearly not a nice thing to say. When not dealing with supernatural creatures, I enjoy the use of French vulgarity. People often say, “Pardon my French”. So why not actually sprinkle in a few merde, pute, and chiant’s?

Here are a few more PG exclatives that I enjoy.

Holy Shiite Muslim!
Son of a Hampster!
What the Hellen Keller?
Farfignugen!
Oh my gobstoppers!

What’s your favorite kid friendly curse word?

Joke of the Day
An aging man lived alone in Ireland. His only son was in Long Kesh Prison, and he didn't know anyone who would spade up his potato garden. The old man wrote to his son about it, and received this reply, "For HEAVENS SAKE, don't dig up that garden, that's where I buried the GUNS!!!!!"At 4 A.M. the next morning, a dozen British soldiers showed up and dug up the entire garden, but didn't find any guns.
Confused, the man wrote to his son telling him what happened and asking him what to do next.
His son's reply was: "Just plant your potatoes.”

2 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

Artemis Fowl has been on my TBR pile for ten years.......Hmph.

Jonathon Arntson said...

The hmph was for making me want to read it soon.
Shiitake mushrooms!
Phuket, Thailand!
What the freckles?!?!