Monday, July 27, 2009

Horrible Homonims

I really hate homonims. Needing to memorize which spelling is used for each case is seriously annoying. Why can’t there just be one spelling for each word? There are a lot of nasty homonims in this world. Here are a few of the most annoying ones:

one/won

two/to/too

their/there/they’re

its/it’s

knight/night

weather/whether

which/witch

presents/presence

pique/peak

Even though I hate pure homonims a lot! I hate near homonims even more. I’m talking about the words that have different sounds but similar spellings and very differant meanings. When I misspell these words, I tend to look like an even bigger idiot than when I misspell homonims. And I hate looking stupid – even though that tends to happen rather frequently.

These are a few of the worst wannabe homonims:

sweet/sweat

threw/through/throw/though/thorough/thought/etc

nether/neither

orange/arrange

college/collage

concur/conquer

counsel/council/conceal

clothes/close

I’m sure there are many many more homonims and near homonims that I misspell on a regular basis. Unfotrunately, I am so bad at recongizing homonims, that I just go about misspelling these words all the time without even attempting to select the correct word.

3 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

This is one category on Jeopardy I have the hardest time with. My boyfriend whizzes right through them.

Anonymous said...

Of course reading the writing of a person who messes up homonyms is always comical and smile producing...as long as it is not a totally embarrassing situation for that writer. Mom

Anonymous said...

yeah....Like the word Homonym...