Friday, October 2, 2009

What's in a Name?

So, I’m totally un-googlable. The problem is that I have way to common of a name, and on top of that I don’t even know what my name is most of the time. I’ve decided that I need to do a better job of branding myself. Because currently, I’m hard to find on the internet.

The name on my birth certificate was “Katherine Marian Elliott”. The name on my current drivers licence and passport is “Katherine Elliott Scott”. I go by “Kate” about 55% of the time and “Katherine” 45% of the time. On this blog my name is listed as “Kate Scott”. I have three email addresses, the part before the @ for the accounts are “katemelliott”, “Katherine.Elliott.Scott”, and “Katherine_Scott”. When I attempted to google myself this is what I found.

Kate Scott – not in first 400 pages
“Kate Scott” – not in first 100 pages
Kate Scott dyslexia – 1st
Kate Scott spelling – 4th (jumped to 1st after this post was published)
Kate Scott writing – not in first 100 pages (jumped to 9th after this post was published)
Katherine Elliott Scott – not in first 100 pages (jumped to 1st after this post was published)
“Katherine Elliott Scott” – 5 pages, all me, all random (now 6)
Katherine Scott – 8th, my facebook account
Misadventures in Spelling – 1st
Dyslexia Jokes – 6th
Famous Dyslexics – 58th

So what does this all mean. Well for one thing it means that this blog is easy to find on google when people are looking for dyslexia jokes. But it is very hard to find when people are looking for me, me, me. And if for some crazy reason an agent or editor wanted to google me, me, me, well they would be completely out of luck.

So I’m thinking that I need to put a little effort into naming myself. Like it might be a good idea to have my facebook page, my myspace page (which I haven’t checked in like a year), my linkedin page (which I have never checked at all), and this blog all be listed under the same name. Then maybe I can figure out a way to make that one name link to me when people type it into google.

So here is where I need your help. What should my name be? I am thinking of this more as a pen name, than the thing my mother calls me. What name should be listed on the covers of all the books I’m soon to sell? Because it would probably be a good idea to start placing some claim on that name now. So please vote in the poll above - sorry I couldn't figure out how to include the poll in the text of the post, feel free to make fun of me if you know how to do this properly.

(Poll is now closed - here are the results. If you still want to vote simply voice your opinion in the comments section)

Kate Scott (0%)
Kate Elliott (0%)
Katherine Scott (0%)
Katherine Elliott (14%)
K.E. Scott (57%)
Katherine E. Scott (14%)
Katherine Elliott Scott (14%)


P.S. – Just for kicks I googled my college roomates name, which is very unique. Her parents made it up by combining several family names into one creative new treasure of a name. So she is 1st, 3rd, and 4th in google. She might be 2nd too, I didn’t actually click on the webpage, but I didn’t recognize it as undenyable her. I like my name, but when attempting to create a web presence having three first names is a bit of a drawback.



Joke of the Day
What do you get when you cross a dyslexic, and agnostic, and an insomniac?
Someone who stays up all night wondering if there's a Dog.

2 comments:

Jm Diaz said...

I think you should but up as option for a pen name "Elliot Kate Scott" as well. :)

CKHB said...

I picked K.E. Scott, but Katherine Elliot Scott was a close 2nd choice.